Background. The bumblebee fauna of the Penza region have not been fully explored. It is not possible to identify some rare species of bumblebees, that need protection, which is especially important in connection with publication of a new edition of the Red Book of animals. The purpose of the work is to add species to the list of bumblebees, to discover new species rare for the area.
Materials and methods. The author was collecting bumblebees in the territory of the State Nature Reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep'” and in some other areas (the city of Nikolsk and Nikolsk district, Penza and Lunino districts) in 2011–2014. The arealographic analysis of the fauna was conducted using a range of habitats, proposed by K. B. Gorodkov, and compared it with bumblebee faunas of regions that are close geographically or ecologically.
Results. The species list of bumblebees in Penza region increased up to 27 species of bumblebees and 6 species of cuckoo-bees. Two species of bumblebees: B. deuteronymus and B. schrencki, and 2 species of cuckoo-bees: B. norvegicus and B. sylvestris have been registered for the first time in Penza region. Ten subgenera of the genus Bombus have been identified according to modern taxonomy. 11 species of bumblebees of the subgenus Thoracobombus and 6 species Psithyrus dominated. Analysis of the arealografic composition showed the dominance of Euro-Siberian (37 %) and transpalearctic species (33 %). In zonal relation, almost half of the species list (49 %) were species with temperate (moderate zone from taiga to steppe) proliferation. The second place (33 %) was the group of subboreal species (nemoral zone, forest-steppe and steppe). 4 species had a wide arcto-temperate spread from tundra to dry steppes and only 2 species were of boreal taiga-forest group. A comparison with the faunas of other regions revealed the highest similarity with the Ulyanovsk region and forest-steppe zone of the West Siberian plain. The State Nature Reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep'” plays an important role in protection of rare species of bumblebees. 9 rare species of bumblebees inhabits its territory, 5 of which can be included in the main list, and 4 – in the Annex to the new Red Book of Penza region. 7 species of bumblebees of the regional fauna: B. argyllaceus, B. armeniacus, B. deuteronymus, B. fragrans, B. schrenсki, B. sylvestris and B. norvegicus have been proposed for inclusion into the main list of the new edition of the Red Book of Penza region, and 4 species: B. cullumanus, B. pomorum, B. pratorum and B. sorоensis have been proposed for inclusion into the Annex to the Red Book.
Conclusions. For 27 species of bumblebees and 6 species of cuckoo-bees (subgenus Psithyrus) the habitats have been identified in the Penza region, of which 4 species are new for Penza region: 2 species of bumblebees of the subgenus Thoracobombus: Bombus (Thoracobombus) deuteronymus Schulz, 1879; Bombus (Thoracobombus) schrencki Morawitz, 1881, and 2 species of bumblebees of the subgenus Psithyrus: Bombus (Psithyrus) norvegicus (Sparre-Schneider, 1918) and Bombus (Psithyrus) sylvestris (Lepeletier, 1832). Euro Siberian and transpalearctic species, and according to a zonal criterion – temperate and subboreal ones, dominate in the composition of the fauna. The State Nature Reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep'” plays an important role in protection of rare bumblebee species in Penza region. 24 species of bumblebees, including 9 rare one, live on the territory of the reserve.
1. Efremova Z. A. Shmeli Povolzh'ya [Bumblebees of Volga region]. Ulyanovsk, 1991, 90 p.
2. Stojko T. G., Anikin S. N. Programma po izucheniyu shmeley i shmeley-kukushek [Program of studying bumblebees and cuckoo-bees]. Penza: PGPU, 2001, 24 p.
3. Stojko T. G., Anikin S. N. Fauna i ekologiya zhivotnykh [Fasuna and ecology of animals]. Penza: PGPU, 2002, iss. 3, pp. 48–51.
4. Stojko T. G., Bystrakova N. V. Okhrana rastitel'nogo i zhivotnogo mira Povolzh'ya i sopredel'nykh territoriy: materialy Vseros. nauch. konf., posvyashch. 130-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya I. I. Sprygina [Protection of flora and fauna of Volga region and the adjacent areas: proceedings of the All-Russian scientific conference commemorating 130th jubilee of I. I. Sprygin]. Penza, 2003, pp. 78–80.
5. Stojko T. G., Polumordvinov O. A. Aktual'nye voprosy monitoringa ekosistem antropogenno narushennykh territoriy: tez. dokl. Vseros. nauch.-prakt. konf [Topical problems of monitoring ecosystems in anthropogenically disturbed territories: report these of the All-Russian scientific and practical conference]. Ulyanovsk: UGU, 2000, pp. 57–58.
6. Krasnaya kniga Penzenskoy oblasti. T. II. Zhivotnye [The red book of Penza region. Vol. II. Animals]. Penza, 2005, 209 p.
7. Shibaev S. V., Polumordvinov O. A. Izvestiya Penzenskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. V. G. Belinskogo. Estestvennye nauki [Proceedings of Penza State Pedagogical University named after V. G. Belinsky]. 2012, no. 29, pp. 274–279.
8. Dobrolyubova T. V. Biologicheskoe raznoobrazie i dinamika prirodnykh protsessov v zapovednike «Privolzhskaya lesostep'»: tr. Goszapovednika «Privolzhskaya lesostep'» [Biological diversity and dynamics of natural processes in the nature reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep”: proceedings of the state nature reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep”]. Penza, 1999, iss. 1, pp. 81–88.
9. Dobrolyubova T. V. Biologicheskoe raznoobrazie i dinamika prirodnykh protsessov v zapovednike «Privolzhskaya lesostep': tr. gosudarstvennogo zapovednika «Privolzhskaya lesostep'» [Biological diversity and dynamics of natural processes in the nature reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep”: proceedings of the state nature reserve “Privolzhskaya lesostep”]. Penza, 2012, iss. 2, pp. 217–220.
10. Osychnyuk A. Z., Panfilov D. V., Ponomareva A. A. Opredelitel' nasekomykh Evropeyskoy chasti SSSR [Identification guide of insects of the European part of USSR]. Moscow; Leningrad: Nauka, 1978, vol. 3, part 1, pp. 279–518.
11. Løken A. Norsk Entomologisk Tidsskrift [Norwegian entomological journal]. Universitetsforlaget, 1973, vol. 20, no. 1, 217 p.
12. Løken A. Ent. Scand. Suppl. 1984, no. 23, pp. 1–45.
13. Gorodkov K. B. Dvukrylye nasekomye, ikh sistematika, geograficheskoe rasprostranenie i ekologiya [Dipterans, their taxonomy, geographical distribution and ecology]. Leningrad, 1983, pp. 26–33.
14. Gorodkov K. B. Arealy nasekomykh Evropeyskoy chasti SSSR: AtlasKarty 179–221 [Areals of insects of the European part of USSR: Atlas maps 179–221]. Leningrad: Nauka, 1984, pp. 3–20.
15. Gorodkov K. B. Sistematika, zoogeografiya i kariologiya dvukrylykh nasekomykh (Insecta: Diptera) [Taxonomy, zoogeography and caryology of dipterans (Insecta: Diptera)]. Saint-Petersburg, 1992, pp. 45–55.
16. Pekkarinen A., Teras I., Viramo J., Paatela I. Notulae entomol. 1981, vol. 61, pp. 71–89.
17. Byval'tsev A. M. Chteniya pamyati Alekseya Ivanovicha Kurentsova [Readings in memory of Aleksey Ivanovich Kurentsov]. Novosibirsk, 2011, iss. XXII, pp. 218–226.
18. Rasmont P., Schweiger O. et all. Climatic Risk and Distribution Atlas of European Bumblebees. Sofia: Penzoft, 2015, 236 p. Available at: http://www.pensoft.net/book/13021/climatic-risk-and-distribution-atlas-of-european-bumblebees.
19. Williams P. H. An annotated checklist of bumble bees with an analysis of patterns of description (Hymenoptera: Apidae, Bombini). Bulletin of The Natural History Museum (Entomology).1998,no.67,pp.79–152.
20. Levchenko T. V. Eversmanniya. Entomologicheskie issledovaniya v Rossii i sosednikh regionakh [Eversmannia. Entomological research in Russia and adjacent regions]. 2012, iss. 31–32, pp. 72–88.
21. Stepanova R. K. Fauna i flora Respubliki Bashkortostan: problemy ikh izucheniya i okhrany [Fauna and flora of the Republic of Bashkortostan: problems of study and protection thereof]. Ufa, 1999, pp. 61–65.
22. Sysoletina L. P. Entomologicheskie issledovaniya v Chuvashii: materialy 1-y Respub. entomol. konf. (g. Cheboksary, 24–25 oktyabrya 1997 g.) [Entomological research in Chuvashia: materials of 1st Republican entomological conference (Cheboksary, 24–25 October 1997)]. Cheboksary, 1998, pp. 89–95.
23. Ruchin A. B. Entomol. obozr. [Entomological review]. 2010, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 396–402.
24. Adakhovskiy D. A. Izuchenie fauny, ekologii i raznoobraziya shmelinykh Udmurtii [Study of fauna, ecology and diversity of bumblebees in Udmurtia]. Izhevsk, 2007, 106 p.
25. Potapov G. S., Kolosova Yu. S. Vestnik Tyumenskogo gosuniversiteta. Mediko-biologicheskie nauki [Bulletin of Tyumen State University. Biomedical sciences]. Tyumen, 2012, no. 6, pp. 55–60.
26. Shibaev S. V., Polumordvinov O. A. Entomol. i parazitol. issledovaniya v Povolzh'e [Entomological and parasitologic research in Volga region]. Saratov: SGU, 2014, iss. 11, pp. 73–77.